- B.Sc in Physics and Computer Science (Magna Cum Laude), Tel Aviv University, 2010
- P.hD in Condensed Matter Physics (advisor: David Andelman), Tel Aviv University , 2016
Dr. Tomer Markovich
In our theory group we study fundamental properties of soft active materials. This new class of materials is characterized by local energy injection that leads to novel non-equilibrium phenomena. Most living matter is "active" and there are ample examples of synthetic active materials.
We are interested in developing a thermodynamic framework for these systems, with focus on active field theories.
We are also studying a subclass of active materials are chiral. These exhibits extraordinary properties such as a new type of viscosity that do not dissipate energy (odd viscosity).
For the more biological context we investigate active gels and active polar liquid crystals.
- Blavatnik Postdoctoral Fellow, DAMTP, University of Cambridge (advisor: Michael E. Cates), 20016-2018
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, CTBP, Rice Univeristy, (advisor: Fred C. MacKintosh), 2018-2022
Awards and Prizes
- CTBP, Rice University, Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2018-2022
- Blavatnik Postdoctoral Fellowships Program for Israeli Scientists, 2016-2018
- Dothan scholarship for academic achievements, 2016
- Getti scholarship for excellence in research, 2014
- Haya Rozet scholarship for academic excellence, 2013